Lest you think that precludes anything fiberish, I'm here to tell you that opening boxes that have been in storage for 6 months is like Christmas on steroids!
A couple of years ago, I knit a sweater for my dad after my mom passed (see here - scroll down). I had a moment of panic and ordered more yarn, which meant I ended up with lots extra. I figured that I'd have enough for a vest, and the idea has been composting all that time. I found a pattern on Ravelry that I liked, but really only liked the shape and the cable.
After looking at the amount of yarn I had (roughly 800 yds, which means I will probably have to order some more...), I decided to make the vest stockinet stitch with a cable up the center back, and along both front edges of a high, v-neck.
Usually when I knit, I use charts (I rarely use printed patterns). In order to read them, I put them into Excel, making the column width 2.14 pixels wide. This makes a nice grid that is easy for my aging eyes to read.
The chart for the vest cable looks like this:
The chart leaves out the wrong-side rows, mainly so that it all will fit on one page.
The knitted cable looks like this:
The fabric is actually much bluer than this shows.
I'm really enjoying the cable - it has a rhythm, much like lace that's easy to get into. I think this will be a very "wearable" vest!